Let’s face it – it’s been a stressful few years. You know that it’s only normal to feel stressed after several rounds of lockdowns, restrictions, and rule-changing. Long Covid and post-pandemic stress disorder are all very real. And they could be making you feel apprehensive about Covid-rearing its head again after a period of what felt like things returning to normal.
Everyone’s talking about self-care ideas right now, and rightly so.
Experts are adamant that self-care is one of the best ways to boost both your physical and mental health.
It is also one of my favourite things to write about, so I’m very excited share these ideas with you!
My list isn’t one-size-fits-all, but I think everyone should make their own list of self-care ideas.
Some of them are small ways to show myself some self-compassion, while others take a bit more time.
So, what’s the definition of self-care?
Self-care is any time you take to nourish yourself. It can be a huge range of things, from bubble baths, to meditation or doing your favourite activities – truly taking time for yourself.
It is anything that improves your quality of life
There’s a whole variety of self-care needs: from the most basic, like making sure you’re eating healthy food, cleaning, and making your bed, to more advanced self-care, like practicing mindful movement.
Not sure where to start?
Below you’ll find my personal list of self-care ideas
- Give myself a pedicure or a manicure or a home staycation.
- Make myself a hot cup of coffee and sip lazily. Enjoying each sip.
- Sit on the couch. Just. Sit. And stare blankly.
- Pick or buy a bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Take a leisurely walk without a goal.
- Put on a homemade face mask.
- Watch my latest show without guilt.
- Take a nap in the afternoon.
- Order in dinner.
- Do something crafty: coloring, painting.
- Go to the library or bookstore. Sit in a comfy chair. And read.
- Sit in the grass and watch the clouds float by.
- Look at the stars.
- Have a dance party to my favourite music.
- Take a mental health day— without any guilt about it.
- Burn a candle or diffuse some oils that have my favourite scents.
- Sit in a coffee shop and sip on a luxurious drink.
- Walk around the fancy grocery store without a list. Buy some random stuff just for fun.
- Try out a new hobby.
- Do yoga.
- Cook breakfast just for myself.
- Sing at the top of my lungs. In the shower or in the car and with the windows down.
- Go for a drive—no destination.
- Close myself in a room and just be.
- Have a 20 minute stretching session.
- Plan out an extravagant vacation just for fun.
- Wear an outfit that makes me feel great. No reason. Just.
- Bake a dessert. And then eat it. Alone.
- Watch the sun rise or set. Only watch..
- Go to bed early or sleep in late.
- Go to a museum: art, children’s, history, science—whatever brings me joy that day!
- Go to a cocktail hour at a bar—enjoy a drink!
- Have an at-home spa session—light a candle or diffuse some essential oils, put on calming music, do my skincare, drink some warm tea or an infused water.
- Get a massage.
- Take the time to do my hair and makeup. Just to feel good.
- Write a list of 10 things I’m grateful for and why.
- Make myself a batch of infused water to sip on.
- Cook a fancy meal. I deserve it.
- Say “no” to someone.
- Unplug for the rest of the day
I think everyone should make their own list of self-care ideas. So feel free to add them to your own self-care list.
Enjoy every day and every moment!
very good submit, i actually love this website, carry on it